[GTALUG] Mozilla XUL is dead

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 11:23:15 EDT 2020

https://yoric.github.io/post/why-did-mozilla-remove-xul-addons/

Pretty interesting article on how Firefox has been evolving over the last
15-ish years.

I remember when Wrox Press asked me if I knew of anyone that knew about
XUL, because their "hype wagon" thought that XUL was the next big thing,
and they wanted a book on that.  And it was, though after a fashion much
smaller than I expect Wrox was imagining.

XUL and XPCOM (which is kinda like COM, which was Microsoft's fork of DCE's
DCOM, which was an extendible API system kinda like CORBA...) are now being
actively deprecated.  A pain in the neck to anyone that had devoted a lot
of resources to XUL, but probably not something others care about terribly
much.