[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi 4 Desktop Kit

mwilson at Vex.Net mwilson at Vex.Net
Sun Aug 9 12:18:38 EDT 2020

From: D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh at mimosa.com>
> | From: mwilson--- via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | [ GIMP crashes under Raspberry Pi OS ]
>
> Last I checked, ordinary Raspbian was 32-bit only.  If Gimp's memory
> use is within a single processs, it is limited to about 2 or 3G (I
> don't remember which) of your 8G.
>
> Switching to a 64-bit OS would let Gimp use most of your 8G.
>
> As for crashing: do you know what kind of crash is happening?  Is it
> worth reporting?

Thanks.  My only data point was that GIMP hadn't been crashing under I386
Debian.  Next time I'll submit a crash report; it's the right thing to do.

I guess the 4GB system will get random use as a wandering client.  I
already have a Pi3 running nginx as a local web server.  The appeal is the
slightly lower power requirement.