[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi 4 Desktop Kit

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 18:51:08 EDT 2020

<snip>

> > So it has USB boot with the Pi 4 I just have to change the
> > FIRMWARE_RELEASE_STATUS value from "critical" to "stable."
>
> I would err on the side of sticking with just a high quality SD card.
> There far less chance of the accidental removal while the machine is in
> operation.

Very true :-)

> When you also factor in Keyboard, Mouse, and USB boot drive, your left
> with only one spare USB port, which could likely be taken up by a
> webcam. Sticking to the SD keeps one more port free for incidental use.
>
> What if I plug in a USB extender say with 4 ports ? Will that work or use
too much power  ?

> > Alright I will shop around for a fan and aluminium case.
>

> It's a bit on the pricey side, but this Argon ONE is nice desktop style
> case. The power button also helps to make sure it's not being hard
> powered off, possible leading to corruption of the boot filesystems.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VlE654abDo
> https://www.buyapi.ca/product/argon-one-pi-4-raspberry-pi-case/

That is a nice case. They have so many I have to see what else is
available then decide. But that is a neat case.

> >     That being said, I will give one further thing to consider.
> >
> >     A Raspberry Pi 4 - 8GB is going to run you around $100 Canadian, +
> >     $30-50 for a good case, $15 for PSU, $30-80 for SD card or other
> >     storage. That's $200 or more. Well with in the lower ends of the
> >     used or
> >     refurbished desktop and laptops.

Cost is always a concern.

> >     - https://www.freegeektoronto.org/shop/
> >     - https://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=7_158_1934&sort=3a
> >     - https://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=710_374&sort=3a
> >
> >     Can you tell us more about how you expect to use the computer?
> >     That would let us help narrow down your options more.
> >

> > This is not for me. My uncle lives in Edmonton. He is in his late 70's
> > and getting on.
> > I visited him recently and he has an ancient desktop and my aunty has a
> > laptop. Both
> > run Windows 10. The modem+router is in their basement. The house has 3
> > levels. So
> > the wifi signal has to get through two floors for my uncle and one floor
> > for my aunty. Most
> > times things are extremely slow. I could run an ethernet cable from the
> > basement and wire
> > a direct connection but did not have the time to do that this time.
> >
> > I have a couple of desktops lying around but Canada Post or Fedex or UPS
> > will be
> > very expensive if I was to ship them to Edmonton from Toronto and both
> > my uncle and aunt
> > are not technically savvy or inclined so even if I get it across someone
> > has to hook up and test
> > things before handing over to them.
> >
> > This is when I started exploring possible alternatives. A Pi has a very
> > small form factor. Easily
> > packaged and can be sent through Canada Post. Or if I manage to save
> > enough to fly to Edmonton
> > carrying a Pi or two will not be a issue as compared to checking in two
> > desktops :-)
>

> Yup, remote support and shipping requirements really do lean into the
> Raspberry Pi's favor here.

Yes that is the prime reason I started investigating the Pi :-)

> > And since everything will be set to go all they have to do is plug in
> > the keyboard+mouse+monitor
> > or TV and things should just work ? I still have to run a ethernet cable
> > from the basement up
> > to his room and my aunt's laptop which has no fixed location. Most times
> > she uses it in the
> > kitchen or dining table.
> >
> > Oh one more question, what can I do to increase the wifi signal from the
> > basement up 3 floors ?
> > I have very limited experience with modems and routers.
>
> There are wifi repeaters, but I've not had much experience with them to
> make a recommendation.
>
> A more practical approach is to move the ISP modem/router onto the
> middle floor so that it's coverage is more consistent across the property.

The entry point for the ISP is in the basement and moving things up to the
main floor is going to get messy. I have to find a way to get a stronger
signal
without messing with the modem/router where it currently is in the basement.
Running an ethernet cable is a option but I have to get to Edmonton to do
this.

> If it's not practical to do so, because of where their internet service
> enters the property, consider getting a second dedicate WIFI router.
> Turn off the WIFI on the ISP modem/router. Setup WIFI on the new router,
> disable it's DHCP services, and connect one of its LAN side ports back
> to one of the LAN side ports of the ISP modem/router.

This will definitely work. I have to first learn and familiarize myself
with setting
up a modem/router. Thank you Scott.