[GTALUG] The truth is paywalled (was Re: Looks like IBM is planning to eliminate RHEL)

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Aug 7 00:48:04 EDT 2020

As someone much smarter than me recently wrote, "The Truth is Paywalled but
> the Lies are Free".
>
>  Stewart

I call absolute bullshit on this assertion, which I have seen in meme form
at a number of locations.

It's provably wrong.

Most of the objectively least-biased and most trustworthy news sources
<https://www.adfontesmedia.com/static-mbc/> are freely accessible: NPR,
Reuters, Associated Press, ABC, CBS and others....

Other sources that I also find interesting go even further
<https://theconversation.com/ca>, allowing their journalism to be shared
under Creative Commons rules.

What is paywalled is elitist analysis, editorials, op-eds and assorted
claptrap. Most often it's elitist neoliberal claptrap (NYT, WaPo, G&M,
NatPo), but -- as the Toronto Star demonstrates -- elitist progressive
lefty claptrap can be paywalled too.

Please allow that meme the painful death it deserves.

- Evan