[GTALUG] DSL to wifi

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 20:27:50 EDT 2020

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 5:08 PM Astrid R via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Thanks.  Here's a short video that shows what happens when I turn on the
> laptop. I hope it's clear enough to be helpful.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsss7a5pnu0emwu/IMG_1210.MOV?dl=0

Got some info from that. You are running Debian release Wheezy. Boot seems
normal, directly to your user, without a login manager in between and the
Network Manager icon is in the system tray, right beside your name Astrid
Rammo. You appear to be running the Gnome desktop.

When you say you forgot your password, do you mean your user login
password. Automation in graphical logins kind of does that to you. As a
user you can edit the grub boot lines for either the regular kernel and
invoke a root shell, or the recovery kernel in order to boot into a setup
menu and set whatever login passwords you need to.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/92556/how-do-i-boot-into-a-root-shell

There is a link with some wifi setup info here, but if you are not
comfortable with using shell commands, this information is not going to be
much help.

I haven't touched wheezy for a few years now so I don't remember exactly
how to navigate through network management.

Maybe someone currently using Debian could help you walk through this.

https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse

> Attivato lun, ago 3, 2020 alle 16:55, Howard Gibson <hgibson at eol.ca> ha
> scritto:
>
> On Mon, 03 Aug 2020 20:43:40 +0000
> Astrid R via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your replies. Before I go on I should say I discovered that I
> no longer have the password to change the date and time, so it might not be
> possible to change anything else either.
> >
> > But in case there might be a way, I hope the following is useful.
> >
> > I'm using a Dell laptop.
> >
> > Not sure if this is the distribution and release...GNU Grub 1.99-27 +deb
> 7u2...
>
> Astrid,
>
> When your GNI login window comes up, does it say Debian, or Ubuntu?
> Next to the username and password box, you should see a menu that
> selects your desktop. If you pull this down, you should see Gnome,
> Unity, XFCE, LXDM, or possibly FVWM. I, and a bunch of other people
> here, love FVWM, but I highly do not recommend it for beginners.
>
> When you log into Gnome or Unity, you pull the menu down at the top
> right-hand side of your screen, and networking is one of the options.
> You need to know what your wireless device is called, and you need the
> password.
>
> --
> Howard Gibson
> hgibson at eol.ca