[GTALUG] DSL to wifi

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Aug 2 09:39:21 EDT 2020

| From: James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| On 8/1/20 7:28 PM, Astrid R via talk wrote:
| > I'm just looking for someone in downtown Toronto to change the settings on
| > my laptop from DSL to wifi.  I can only pay up to $40.
|
| It's not hard to connect to WiFi.  All you need is the password. Assuming
| you're using Network Manager you can find the WiFi you want to use, select it
| and enter the password.  You can leave the DSL connection, in case you need it
| again later.

James is quite right.  But I infer from your message that you are
encountering some difficulty.

We may be able to help you on this mailing list if you give us enough
information.  For example:

- what computer are you using?

- what OS (Linux, I assume), Distribution and release (eg. Ubuntu
  18.04) are you using?

- where do you want to use WiFi?

- if you have DSL, you probably have a box supplied by the ISP that
  provides you ethernet and WiFi.  Technically these are a combination
  of a "modem" and a "wireless router".  Are you trying to switch your
  computer from using a wired connection to wireless, still within
  your home?

- Who is your ISP?  What model of box did they provide you?

- if you are trying to use WiFi within your home, have you set up the
  ISP's box?  It too needs configuration.  Your ISP would probably
  have given you a manual that tries to guide you through this
  process.  If you've lost it, you can probably find a copy on the
  web.

- what have you tried?  What problems have you encountered?