[GTALUG] urgent: Red Hat distros have an update that renders some systems unbootable

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Aug 1 16:53:32 EDT 2020

| From: D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| https://access.redhat.com/solutions/5272311

The procedure outlined did not work for me on my CentOS 7 box.  Here
are some additions:

1) networking in rescue environment

The link describing how to enable networking is only available to
those paying for support.

I fumbled about in nmtui (Network Manager Text User Interface) until
it worked.

2) the permanent ESP isn't mounted

For updating the *.efi files (the main point of the exercise) the ESP
must be mounted on /boot/efi.

After the chroot:

If you have a separate /boot partition:
	mount /boot
(I see no point in a /boot partition but many people have them.)

If you have a separate /var partition:
	mount /var

etc...

Mount the ESP:
	mount /boot/efi

	Check that it is the partition that you want (/dev/sda1 in my
	case).

Only then can you do the yum stuff.

Since I didn't do (2), I had to manually move things that landed in
/boot/efi (a directory and intended mount-point) to /boot/efi (the
filesystem).

On the next boot, SELINUX was upset and spent some time relabelling
things.

Seems to be working now.