[GTALUG] urgent: Red Hat distros have an update that renders some systems unbootable

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 16:12:35 EDT 2020

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 11:03 AM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/5272311
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/07/red-hat-and-centos-systems-arent-booting-due-to-boothole-patches/
>
> Don't do upgrades to Fedora, RHEL, CentOS until you read those.
>
> This seems to have bitten me, making one of my routers (running CentOS 7).
> I'm still not sure if this is what has happened to my system.
> The symptoms looked like an SSD failure: nothing past POST on the screen.
>
> So I spent a fair bit of time trying to work around the loss.  Now that
> I've seen this error report, I will redirect my efforts

Reading the other reports it seems like, a more than somewhat neophyte,
that the fix to the fix compounded with automated upgrades is the sum of
the problem.

Maybe the fix is to have NO automatic upgrades.

The forced automatic upgrades is why I've deprecated Ubuntu here.

The latest shiniest new toy isn't always the most useful in my experience - - -
- - - especially when it comes to computing!

Really do appreciate the heads up!!