[GTALUG] urgent: Red Hat distros have an update that renders some systems unbootable

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 13:26:02 EDT 2020

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 12:03 PM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/5272311
>
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/07/red-hat-and-centos-systems-arent-booting-due-to-boothole-patches/
>
> Don't do upgrades to Fedora, RHEL, CentOS until you read those.
>
> This seems to have bitten me, making one of my routers (running CentOS 7).
> I'm still not sure if this is what has happened to my system.
> The symptoms looked like an SSD failure: nothing past POST on the screen.
>
> So I spent a fair bit of time trying to work around the loss.  Now that
> I've seen this error report, I will redirect my efforts

Seems to affect grub2 and secure boot for quite a number of distributions.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/KnowledgeBase/GRUB2SecureBootBypass?WUwbDVmRWk5RCtJZ2IyNUU2SyJ9#Recovery

One fix quote from this link.

"solved this by actually copying the grubenv file to /boot/grub2
instead of relying on the symlink to efi."

---
> Unsubscribe from this mailing list

Russell