[GTALUG] CIRA officially launches free DNS firewall for consumers | IT World Canada News

ac ac at main.me
Tue Apr 28 09:16:20 EDT 2020

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 08:13:11 -0400
Alvin Starr <alvin at netvel.net> wrote:
<snip so many cool things around here somewhere>

> How about DNS over TOR?

as usual, LOVE the way you think :)

How about just plain old DNSSEC?
(instead of a nanny) - yay, IT Works! - and is so mature
already...(without all the risks of having/using a nanny)

and using connectivity providers (instead of third parties and dns over
https) -- for caching/recursive, like Bell (Bell CA actually does not
track/record/monetise their users DNS querries afaik)

Problems all solved?

> > my further opinions are that any "nanny" type "free" service where
> > someone else decides what and where i may or may not go or what i
> > may or may not see, needs to be either well
> > regulated/controlled/open/published/etc or simply not be
> > accepted...
>
> Sometimes nannies are good things.

yes, nannies are 'sometimes' good things, but for some people BAD
nannies are sometimes even better :)

> People without the wherewithal or interest in managing their own
> security likely are in need of a nanny.

again, dnssec already protects users, it just needs wider adoption,
which is the issue.. .as for "shared" domains like outlook.com - abuse
management costs will increase? - which is probably why dnssec has
never caught on, it is not "sexy" (like some nannies...)

> > anyway, i am probably a minority as i also do not like/use/support
> > very popular and world dominating services such as 'whatsapp' and i
> > do not tweet or post photos of my food on insta and i have zero
> > tiktok vids
> I have a feeling your take is not a minority on this list.

ooh, warm & fuzzies to you too, I have a home *sigh*  :)