[GTALUG] CIRA officially launches free DNS firewall for consumers | IT World Canada News

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Tue Apr 28 08:13:11 EDT 2020

On 4/28/20 1:10 AM, ac via talk wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 12:31:50 -0400
> Gordon Chillcott via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>> On Mon., Apr. 27, 2020, 09:08 James Knott via talk, <talk at gtalug.org>
>> wrote:
>>> I came across this today:
>>> https://www.itworldcanada.com/article/cira-officially-launches-free-dns-firewall-for-consumers/429887
>>> https://www.cira.ca/cybersecurity-services/canadian-shield/configure
> so... no opinions... no comments... no discussion... just posting
> links, multiple times, or doing marketing now, we are?
Ouch.

> my not so humble opinion is that dns over https is very evil, even if
> done under the guise of "privacy" or "protection/nanny" or "to protect
> us" or under any other logic or reasoning.
DNS over https is not in and of itself evil.
If it is used as a way to implement surveillance capitalism  then it
becomes evil.
I rather liked the quote from the CIRA CTO  “As a non-profit with no
interest in monetizing user data we were able to bring together a group
of great partners who are committed to protecting Canadians
online–including the first-ever national deployment of DNS over HTTPS
globally,”
The only thing missing was the " yet " after the words "no interest".
Somewhere down the line CIRA will likely face a fiscal problem and
suddenly there will be value in that user data that cannot be passed up.

How about DNS over TOR?

> my further opinions are that any "nanny" type "free" service where
> someone else decides what and where i may or may not go or what i may
> or may not see, needs to be either well regulated/controlled/open/published/etc
> or simply not be accepted...
Sometimes nannies are good things.
People without the wherewithal or interest in managing their own
security likely are in need of a nanny.

> anyway, i am probably a minority as i also do not like/use/support very
> popular and world dominating services such as 'whatsapp' and i do not
> tweet or post photos of my food on insta and i have zero tiktok vids
I have a feeling your take is not a minority on this list.

> so i guess ymmv,
>
> Andre

Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||