[GTALUG] Laptop recommendations?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Apr 27 22:38:48 EDT 2020

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 12:13:20AM -0300, Mauro Souza via talk wrote:
> If she wants a new HP, I bet she will later need another HP...
>
> As Hugh said, I only have Thinkpad on a different category. I had more than
> a couple company issued laptops from a variety of brands (HP, Dell, Acer,
> Itautec) and every single one was replaced because of hardware issues, some
> under warranty, some not. Until I got a ThinkPad and I refused to get a
> newer, faster, shinier non thinkpad... One of my current laptops (I have 2)
> is a T430 from '12, but I don't trade it for a new HP or Dell...

My wife has two HP laptops from work.  Both are about 4 months old.
One has audio problems, the other seems to have misplaced the nvidia
chip so only the intel graphics works, which means no external monitors
can be connected.  One of them was just reimaged because it managed to
mess up windows bad enough skype couldn't launch.  Those are Zbook 15
G5 workstation laptops.  Not looking good quality wise for HP so far.
The issues with the video on one is why she has the other but the second
hasn't fully worked yet and hence she still has both of them.

--
Len Sorensen