[GTALUG] Laptop recommendations?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Apr 26 18:09:05 EDT 2020

| From: William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| I'd interested to know why you went with HP?

I don't have a lot of brand loyalty with notebooks.  Except, perhaps,
ThinkPad.

All notebooks are built by a few ODMs (Original Device Manufacturer).
Often they do most of the engineering too.  So the brand isn't really
the main determinant of quality.

Here's a stale ODM list.  It doesn't say which ODMs built which
marques.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_laptop_brands_and_manufacturers#ODM_laptop_units_sold_and_market_shares>

I do know that Foxconn makes a lot of Apple stuff.  And a lot of other stuff.

Lenovo and Asus made a lot of their own stuff.

I think HP uses different ODMs for different models but I don't know
this.

In my experience, HP has sold some interesting really low-end netbooks
(HP Stream) and some nice "business class" notebooks.  They've also
taken "Envy" from a premium brand to a not-that-good brand.

I have a "business class" HP tablet that they damaged with a firmware
update (there is now a noticable delay between a touch and the
response).  They have never fixed.  Even though some customers
complained and some returned them under warranty.