[GTALUG] Data backup recommendations?

Val Kulkov val.kulkov at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 00:21:14 EDT 2020

In my experience, Borg Backup is by far the most efficient and advanced
backup solution. Although I prefer using Borg directly, many people choose
Borgmatic [2], a Python wrapper for Borg that provides some additional
niceties like pre-backup and post-backup hooks, backup of databases like
PostgreSQL and MySQL/MariaDB and more. Very importantly, Borg enables
backups to untrusted servers and from untrusted clients using the
restricted ssh mechanism [3].

Borgmatic supports at least two hosting providers as of now [2].
Personally, I rclone my Borg backups to Amason S3.

[1] https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/
[2] https://torsion.org/borgmatic/
[3] https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/usage/serve.html