[GTALUG] Data backup recommendations?

Sadiq Saif lists at sadiqsaif.com
Wed Apr 22 22:32:13 EDT 2020

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020, at 21:02, Gron Arthur via talk wrote:
> I'm looking for an easy way to backup data? What's good software to
> use, preferably open-source, better if it had a GUI?
>
> Where is the best place to buy some space, for storing data?
>
> Trying to modernize how I backup files personal files.

On my servers I use restic[0] to backup data to Backblaze B2 [1] these days. It is a CLI only utility but once you have a simple script set up in cron it is basically maintenance free.

restic can also backup data to other storage providers like Amazon S3 or a SFTP endpoint. If you are looking for a offsite SFTP storage provider I have used rsync.net [2] in the past and they are solid.

[0] - https://restic.readthedocs.io/en/stable/
[1] - https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage.html
[2] - https://www.rsync.net/index.html

--