[GTALUG] Printing Problem(s)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Apr 17 13:05:40 EDT 2020

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 11:50:57AM -0400, Stewart C. Russell via talk wrote:
> It's a bit more clever than that. All IPP/AirPrint printers *must* support a
> basic bitmap format that is open and well-defined. IPP printers advertise
> what formats they support: querying my Brother printer (using ipptool) says
> it handles image/urf and image/pwg-raster. Some can also accept PCL and PDF.
>
> The internal routing of CUPS print jobs is done as PDF. CUPS is rather
> lovely unless you want to see the internals. IPP allows printer
> manufacturers to change hardware completely on the same model and still keep
> working*. Since the most important question for any printer sold these days
> is "Can I print from my iPhone?", IPP/AirPrint support is not going away.
> Google Cloud Print, btw, *is* going away this year.

When did they change from postscript to pdf?  Hmm a search seems to
indicate quite a few years ago.  I had never known it changed.  I guess
the change just worked.

I am also surprised anyone prints from an iphone.  Really?  What are
they printing?

> (Apple owns CUPS, and AirPrint is their trade name for IPP.)
>
> The "dual core, 0.8 MHz" is more likely to be "dual core, 0.8 GHz". Dual
> core Qoriq boards (typically Power, but sometimes ARM) are what powers so
> much hardware we take for granted.
>
> cheers,
>  Stewart
>
> *: this makes sites like LinuxPrinting completely useless, alas, but makes
> for cheaper printers.

Well if they also want to work with windows drivers and a usb connection,
they probably still have to maintain some kind of compatibility, although
what format they use in their drivers to the printer could be really
anything I suppose.

--
Len Sorensen