[GTALUG] Planning April Meeting

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Apr 3 13:35:35 EDT 2020

On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 12:48:35PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> But wait, there's more!
>
> The linkedin mining is a concern.  It means that individuals should
> create a throw-away email account to then create a zoom account.
> Don't use your real email account.
>
> In what other ways do they abuse your email account?
>
> The one time I've used zoom (for a talk by Myles) I used a chromebook
> that hadn't otherwise been used for years.  I thought I was safe.  But
> no, I used my main email account to create a Zoom account.
>
> So: Zoom has so many and so varied a set of problems that I'm now quite
> unhappy with it.
>
> It's a great argument for free/libre software.
>
> ================
>
> I've also used Cisco's webex once.  Documented Linux support has
> severe bitrot.  Its Linux app is 32-bit only.  Its browser support
> requires Java of some particular type.  It seems to require obsolete
> versions of CentOS (6, if I remember correctly) or Ubuntu (16.04, if I
> remember correctly).  Cisco has signalled several ways over a couple of
> decades that it hates Linux (and the GPL in general).
>
> I ended up using Windows.  And even that was bad: the mic didn't work
> in Windows, even thought it did in Linux.  So I had to switch to a
> different Windows notebook in the middle of a very expensive meeting.
> Even with the new computer, connectivity dropped out a few times.

If anyone wants to play with it and put some load on it, feel free to
poke at my jitsi install:

https://jitsi.cmacleod.ca/GTALUG

Works with browser only (no plugin) and I tried with "jitsi meet" client
from play store on my phone.

And no I don't have a domain setup, but my wife does, so that's where
I put it.

--
Len Sorensen