[GTALUG] Linux kernel 5.3.0

Dhaval Giani dhaval.giani at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 14:34:35 EDT 2019

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 5:00 AM David Collier-Brown via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 2019-09-19 11:11 p.m., William Park via talk wrote:
>
> I just tried kernel 5.3.0, and it's noticeably faster in opening
> windows.  Not sure about overall throughput, though.
>

> I'd be interested in how quick it is in unblocking processes who just got I/O. I have servers doing arrays of heavily parallel network requests who race each other to get back, but then compete to get a core to service them.

Ha, you might be interested in the latest thing we are working on
upstream. We discussed it last week at Linux Plumbers. We are calling
it latency-nice (but as all good programmers know, naming is hard and
this will probably change).

Right now the scheduler is not too good at figuring out which process
should get a place to run at quickly, and by providing a latency-nice
tunable, you can ensure your latency sensitive processes are placed on
the runqueue quickly.

Keep an eye out for this, hopefully we will get it upstream in a few months.

Dhaval