[GTALUG] Custom build: Which case?

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Fri Sep 20 01:38:31 EDT 2019

On 2019-09-19 7:51 a.m., o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 10:51 PM William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
[snip]
>> If you were building a full-tower computer, which case would you buy?
[snip]
> Hmmmmmmmmmmm - - - my beef is that case design seems to convey that
> the case is a work of art, absolute male bovine excrement, I waant a functional
> box but I hardly ever look at the thing. That means that I don't want
> blinky lights,
[snip]
> I would be looking for a case that fills my needs list. (Most
> offerings have too much bling!)

I would check for the number of drive bays, cable management, location for
power supply, is it set up for water cooling (if you prefer water cooling),
and the width of the case.

Location of the supply and height of the feet are important if you want to
use water cooling. I don't like the idea of having a power supply with its
fan on the top side if water cooling is being used. I worry about a possible
leak dripping right in to the guts of the supply.

Case width is important to allow use of some of the taller CPU coolers. I
want to upgrade the CPU fan in my system because the stock one doesn't seem
to be working that well. I can't use the cooling fan I really want because
my case is 9mm too narrow.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick