[GTALUG] Custom build: Which case?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Sep 19 12:58:52 EDT 2019

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 11:51:25PM -0400, William Park via talk wrote:
> I built all of my computers, last one being a basic i3-4170.  There is
> one part that I was never satisfied with, and that is "computer case".
> Selections at Canada Computers and Newegg are disappointing.  If you
> were building a full-tower computer, which case would you buy?  And
> where?

What does 'full tower' mean to you?

Almost all my machines are in Silverstone TJ04 or TJ04-E cases (the
newer -E is much improved in fact).  Those I would consider a mid size
case.  I have eight 4TB WD RED drives in a TJ04-E, which is how many 3.5"
drive bays it has.  The specs claim there is room for another 3.5" drive
somewhere in the case, but I haven't looked.  It also has mounting for
six 2.5" drives as far as I recall and of course four 5.25" drive bays.

Unfortunately, I have no idea where to buy them these days.  I can only
find them at insane prices online it seems.  By insane I mean over $300,
rather than the $150 or so I recall paying for them.  Sundial Micro in
california has them for $150 US, so perhaps that is the "reasonable"
price these days.

For a real full case, I have used a TJ09 once.  Lovely case if you need
the space and cooling capacity.  Not nearly as much capacity for drives
though.  I think it is discontinued years ago though.  For totally insane
large case, the TJ11 looks like a fit.  Not sure what one would do with
nine 5.25" drive bays and dual power supplies.  I guess one could get
some of their FS305 adapters and turn the nine drive bays into 15 hot
swap 3.5" drive bays.

I used to be able to get silverstone cases at canada computers.
They still have some, just not the models I want.

--
Len Sorensen