[GTALUG] Docker-based Mail Server

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Mon Sep 16 15:54:27 EDT 2019

On 2019-09-16 03:47 PM, Christopher Browne via talk wrote:
> A colleague at work (in the US) found that his ISP was going to
> outsource his email to Microsoft and charge $25/month for that.  He
> poked around, and found his own personal "outsourcing" in the form of
> the following...
> https://github.com/tomav/docker-mailserver
>
> Explained further here: https://tvi.al/simple-mail-server-with-docker/

I used to run my own IMAP mail server and used fetchmail to get my mail
from Rogers and also their SMTP server.  What will he be using to
send/receive mail, if he doesn't have an email provider?  I found
running my own server too much bother, so I got my own domain, provided
by Google, and use that.  Works well.  And since it's a paid account
($10 U.S./year) I don't get the ads etc. that free GMail accounts
attract.  It also gets me DNS for my domain, so I can have all my IPv6
addresses reachable by host name.