[GTALUG] "Atom Pi"

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Sep 16 14:08:25 EDT 2019

| From: Stewart Russell via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| On Mon., Sep. 16, 2019, 12:30 D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk, <talk at gtalug.org>
| wrote:
|
| > ... I just assumed that it was some surplus board that was
| > being blown out.  Maybe it is.
| >

| It is. It's from a home server thing that bankrupted the developer before
| they got to market. Once they're gone, they're gone.

Interesting.  Sad.  I wonder how many they made.  Maybe that's why
Ameridroid seems to have run out of the larger breakout boards.

| While it may not be as fast as eMMC, the Raspberry Pi 4 does have a faster
| connection to microSD (with the right card). It also has DDR4 which makes
| it fairly quick.

How do you know when an SD card is "the right card"?  Is it which SD
standard that the card claims to conform to?

I seem to remember that microSD has half the pins compared with normal
SD cards.  That ought to be a strike against.

| I wrote a preso last week on a 4 GB Raspberry Pi 4 (over VNC, even) and it
| didn't feel like an SBC at all.  I hear that the Raspberry Pi 4 is somewhat
| unexpectedly picking up corporate sales as a cheap dual-screen thin client.

I have ordered two 4bs recently.  Still a month away from delivery
(slow boat from China).

Seeed Studio has free shipping if an order was large enough.  Two 4GiB
pi's plus power supplies was large enough.

I already have one FLIRC case.