[GTALUG] Problem with /dev/ttyUSB* serial port

Jim Ruxton jim.ruxton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 13:07:31 EDT 2019

> Is your user a member of the dialout group? You can't access serial
> ports unless you are.
Yes I am a member of dialout and I have no problem when my device uses
/dev/ttyUSB0 .

> Also, 'baudrate=57142' looks a bit odd. 57600 is more standard, but
> I've seen that number used for a couple of motor controllers.
Yes this is a Dynamixel motor controller , they seem to prefer this baud
rate.

> Is there a way you can try it without the USB extender?
I can try this later when I have access to it again but I will need to
run it eventually with the extension.

> Are you using more than one usb serial device? If you are and they are
> both Prolific devices, there is no way of telling them apart by any
> device path. They will swap freely at enumeration. Unlike FTDI
> adapters, Prolific have no serial numbers. I try to avoid having two
> PL2303s on the same machine, preferring a mix of FTDI, Qinheng and
> SiLabs.
My problem occurs when I am only using the one adapter. It is an FTDI
device.

> If a /dev/ttyUSB0 path works then the /dev/serial/* equivalent must
> work: they're symlinks to the same device. The only time I've seen it
> not work was in software that hard-coded the device path to be 12 bytes.

Yes the /dev/serial equivalent works as long as it's the equivalent of
/dev/ttyUSB0 .

To communicate with the motor I'm using the pyax12 communication library
https://github.com/jeremiedecock/pyax12/blob/master/pyax12/connection.py

Thanks,

Jim