[GTALUG] Problem with /dev/ttyUSB* serial port

Stewart Russell scruss at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 10:41:21 EDT 2019

Is your user a member of the dialout group? You can't access serial ports
unless you are.

Also, 'baudrate=57142' looks a bit odd. 57600 is more standard, but I've
seen that number used for a couple of motor controllers.

Is there a way you can try it without the USB extender?

Are you using more than one usb serial device? If you are and they are both
Prolific devices, there is no way of telling them apart by any device path.
They will swap freely at enumeration. Unlike FTDI adapters, Prolific have
no serial numbers. I try to avoid having two PL2303s on the same machine,
preferring a mix of FTDI, Qinheng and SiLabs.

If a /dev/ttyUSB0 path works then the /dev/serial/* equivalent must work:
they're symlinks to the same device. The only time I've seen it not work
was in software that hard-coded the device path to be 12 bytes.

Cheers
 Stewart