[GTALUG] getting Firefox to exploit GPU

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Oct 4 13:31:58 EDT 2019

| From: Alex Volkov via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| I want to try this out on my GPU. Is there an easy way to benchmark
| performance in firefox?

An excellent question.  I don't know anything about that.  I'm sure
that there are lots of benchmarks "out there".

- many will stress JavaScript performance -- unaffected, I would
  expect

- my *guess* that this won't affect playing videos because I suspect
  that these are not rendered by WebRender (I don't actually know)

Maybe this is a topic for questions at our next meeting "The state of
Mozilla with Mike Hoye".  But having raw data ahead of time would be
great.

I did a bit of googling.  I found this:
<https://mozillagfx.wordpress.com/>

This explains that WebRender is new Rust code that replaces a whole
bunch of old code in the for rendering web pages.
<https://mozillagfx.wordpress.com/2019/05/21/graphics-team-ships-webrender-mvp/>

This seems to be a wiki page for the project
<https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/GFX/Quantum_Render>

Some performance results (surely on Windows):
<https://metrics.mozilla.com/webrender/dashboard_amd.html>