[GTALUG] NUC NUC NUC

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri May 17 11:38:29 EDT 2019

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 05:05:52AM -0400, Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking to upgrade my PC that's served me well for about 8 years, but
> it's starting to be unreliable and I can't upgrade the RAM beyond 4GB. So
> I'm looking at a new desktop system that will be used mainly for
> many-tabs-open browsing and multimedia editing using openshot, audacity,
> etc. Of course must run Linux well.
>
> I am currently looking at two NUC-form-factor barebones systems that use
> the 8th gen Intel i7, an Intel model available through CC
> <https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=570_7_1203_1157&item_id=130569>
> and a Zotac model available from Amazon
> <https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B079H24SWZ/>. Both are about the same price. I
> would be installing 16GB RAM, an SSD and two screens.
>
> Can anyone offer any advice whether to go with one, the other, or neither?
> Are there better places to buy?

Are you particularly attached to the tiny size for any reason?
Remember smaller always costs more for the same thing.

My 6 year old laptop has higher specs than that NUC, never mind what my
6 year old desktop has in it.  I guess they were a bit overkill at the
time and the reason I haven't had to upgrade anything in years (and
still don't).

--
Len Sorensen