[GTALUG] NUC NUC NUC

Alex Volkov alex at flamy.ca
Fri May 17 10:19:34 EDT 2019

Hey Evan,

If you are doing a lot of multimedia editing NUC form factor might not
be the best as the CPU may run into cooling issues and thermal throttle
under load.

About a year ago I've built this Ryzen 5-based system on which I run the
latest Debian and I'm pretty happy with it.

Description and photos

https://gtalug.org/pipermail/talk/2018-April/006154.html

Discussion

https://gtalug.org/pipermail/talk/2018-February/005948.html

There was some initial instability with it, but updating BIOS fixed that.

The biggest limitation of this build that the system is limited to 32GB
of RAM, as chip supports 64GB. It can also be build for much cheaper if
you forgo small form-factor (miniITX) and use microATX or ATX cases --
the motherboard would cost about half as much.

Alex.