[GTALUG] Boeing India software engineers

Dhaval Giani dhaval.giani at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 10:59:45 EDT 2019

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 3:51 PM Gary <technologynut at rogers.com> wrote:

> I think you've misconstrued the intent of our discussion.

o1bigtenor wrote

"
> A number of years ago I read that India is generating more engineers per year
> that the rest of the world combined. How good they are - - - - that's
> another question.
"

James Knott wrote

"
> Several years ago, many companies decided to cut costs by moving help
> desks etc. to India.  Many have come to regret that decision, due to the
> poor quality "help".  In another thread, I mentioned how many put cost
> ahead of value and we get garbage as a result.
"

mwilson wrote

"
> A friend of mine had a job from hell for a while as Canada-side overseer
> of an India-based programming effort.  The job entailed being up all night
> to oversee, then being up all day explaining to management what was
> happening in India.  He's a smart, talented guy, but really, how good is
> *anybody* going to be working like that?
"

I am unsure how I have misconstrued the intention up there.

> The issue is
> worldwide labour arbitrage where production moves to the lowest cost
> region.  This is a reality that must be fully appreciated by those
> contemplating a career in North America. As you allude to in your
> rebuttal, it is a basic economic argument that is apparently lost on the
> massive hordes pursuing degrees  in computer science in this country.

And you have completely missed another important bit. None of the
important work is leaving the US (and as an extension North America).
If your job is leaving North America, that means you are not providing
enough value. These jobs pay the same either here, or there, in
absolute $ values, which is why they stay here. What goes away is
stuff that doesn't need much.

> No
> one here is trying to cast aspersions on the quality of Indian workers;
> rather, we see India as an up and coming force in the world by virtue of
> their favourable demographics. However, I don't believe that this view
> has been fully understood in this country.

Maybe you are saying that. That is not however what this thread is saying.

Dhaval