[GTALUG] UofT ssh shutdown?

Peter King peter.king.1 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 13:41:24 EDT 2019

Up until 3am on Wednesday, 26 June, I had a solid and reliable way to ssh
into the UofT, talking to my computers (three of them) there; they would
also provide redundant backup for my data every night.  Well, without any
warning, suddenly I can no longer ssh in to those computers -- all attempts
to connect just time out.  They are still running, I just can't get to
them, and since I'm about 1000km away at the moment this is pretty rough.

I talked to the JOG (Joint Operations Group) at the UofT, who had no real
idea about this but pointed out that they had tightened their "security"
recently because of a massive hole in RDP.  I looked at the bug description
and it didn't look like it had anything to do with ssh, and besides they
did that a few weeks ago and everything was working for me perfectly until
the day before yesterday.  On the other hand, someone somewhere might have
just decided it was easier to block all remote access -- though you'd think
there would be a hue and cry were that so, and the JOG didn't know anything
about it.  The problem has been bucked over to the local UofT support group
but the people on this list are far more knowledgeable, and more likely to
have noticed problems, indeed to have solved them too.  So I thought I'd
ask.  Has anyone noticed anything about ssh access to the UofT in the past
few days?

(The problem occurs on several different networks, accessing from computers
as far away as Virginia and North Carolina, to one located in Toronto
itself but not on the University network -- all have the same problem.)

I've managed to come up with a workaround to be able to check/read email,
but I would like to be able to ssh in to my other computers -- one runs a
git server, for instance.

All suggestions welcome!  Thanks.

Peter King			 	peter.king at utoronto.ca
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		   (416)-946-3170 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42