[GTALUG] Screen vs Tmux

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Sun Jun 23 23:07:38 EDT 2019

On Sun, Jun 23, 2019 at 04:10:42PM -0400, Stewart C. Russell via talk wrote:
> On 2019-06-20 11:23 p.m., William Park via talk wrote:
> >
> > I try to use WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) whenever possible, even
> > though I have VMware and VirtualBox available.  One thing that WSL
> > terminal lacks is "tab" that all other terminals have.  So, that calls
> > for Screen and Tmux.  But, which one?  And, why?
>
> Another option: an X server on the windows box and xterm (or whatever
> terminal you want). As many windows as you want. Sensible(ish) cut and
> paste, unlike the WSL terminal.
>
> There are rumours that WSL will get a major upgrade very soon, with a
> native terminal with all the features.

Microsoft name for the current terminal is "Windows Console", I'm told.
The new terminal is "Windows Terminal".  I tried it.  I know it's
"preview", but all it does is crash on me.  It starts up with Power
Shell tab, and you can create Power Shell, Cmd, or WSL tabs later.
--
William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca>