[GTALUG] Screen vs Tmux

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 16:10:42 EDT 2019

On 2019-06-20 11:23 p.m., William Park via talk wrote:

> I try to use WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) whenever possible, even
> though I have VMware and VirtualBox available.  One thing that WSL
> terminal lacks is "tab" that all other terminals have.  So, that calls
> for Screen and Tmux.  But, which one?  And, why?

Another option: an X server on the windows box and xterm (or whatever
terminal you want). As many windows as you want. Sensible(ish) cut and
paste, unlike the WSL terminal.

There are rumours that WSL will get a major upgrade very soon, with a
native terminal with all the features.

I still use screen, as:

1) I know its shortcomings, and I don't want to learn about tmux's;

2) I'm one of the very few users of screen's serial capabilities. It's a
frankly crap serial terminal, but it's easy to install and good enough
for debug work. You still have to fight with stty to get fancy settings,
like the 7M1 (yep: "M", not "N") that one of my bits of ancient hardware
requires.

cheers,
 Stewart