[GTALUG] Recommendations for useful laptop suitable for Ubuntu

ac ac at main.me
Mon Jul 15 01:47:17 EDT 2019

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 00:26:58 -0400
Val Kulkov via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 at 23:18, Alex Beamish via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
> wrote:
> > Greetings,
> > My Windows 10 laptop died pretty close to its fifth birthday, so I'm
> > planning on replacing it with a Linux laptop. I've used it for
> > conference calls (hosting the Toronto Perlmongers meeings), and
> > some light Libre Office work, so I need something better than a
> > Bare Bones laptop, but not as wicked as a big fat gamer's rig.
> > Refurbished is OK, and pre-loaded with Linux is also fine. Budget is
> > perhaps $600-$800.
> Dell Latitude E7270 Ultrabook 12.5" FHD Touchscreen Core
> i7-6600U-2.6GHz works quite well with Ubuntu 18.04. Unfortunately, it
> is now out of stock at refurb.io, and Newegg only has Grade B
> refurbished units.

Had bad experience with Dell (battery blew up and main boards burned
out), but I have had (and have) HP laptops, they work fantastic with Linux.
Also, imho, when getting a laptop it is silly to get a puny small screen
(otherwise get a pad) laptop screens must be at least 15 Inches and
prefer 17"+

- size IS important :)

2c

Andre