[GTALUG] Looking for Someone to Answer some Questions

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Jan 13 18:05:17 EST 2019

| From: nick via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| On 2019-01-13 11:25 a.m., D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
| > | From: nick via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
| >
| > | I was wondering as I'm still in school
| >
| > What school?
| I'm at Seneca

Seneca @ York seems to be deeply involved in Linux.  Is that where you
are?  Prof Chris Tyler is sometimes on this list.

| but I also asked UoT students

I don't know the UofT or Waterloo courses these days.  Usually they
have an undergraduate compiler course.  Waterloo CS used to have a famous
real-time course.

Embedded stuff is often in the engineering side, not the CS side.

If one is interested, one does outside-of-course projects, perhaps
with profs.  Sometimes profs will hire you.

|  Even if I look at Waterloo there are courses

Some things are skill that are not the kind of thing that get taught
in courses.  Seneca is more likely to teach these kinds of things.

Compiler design is easy to start but may not make you employable
until you've spent years at it.  It all depends on the employer's
willingness to train you (low, usually).

(I've been designing and implementing programming languages off and on
for over 50 years.  It's probably not the first area in which to look
for employment.)