[GTALUG] Looking for Someone to Answer some Questions

nick xerofoify at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 13:22:13 EST 2019

On 2019-01-13 11:25 a.m., D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> | From: nick via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | I was wondering as I'm still in school
>
> What school?
I'm at Seneca but I also asked UoT students and for whatever
reason most students are going into web so that's the assumption
or mobile. Which is fun considering that's been pushed into the
Co-op program. I'm not complaining it's also pretty easy to tell
from the electives as well i.e. there is only one Linux System
Programming course. Even if I look at Waterloo there are courses
in this but off the top of my head, only a handful at least at
the undergraduate level.

> | if anyone knows
> | of people who actually work in compiler design
>
> Compiler design: not a big field.  Most compilers that take a team are
> already designed.
>
> There is a group at the IBM Toronto lab that works on their compilers.
> I've known a few of them, but my main connections have retired.
>
> An interesting snapshot of this area is the annual CASCON held in
> October (free!  with lunches!).

That's useful thanks for the heads up. I will probably try and go,
have family in Markham. As for compilers I was talking gcc/clang
work not older tech i.e. optimizations or other things related.

> | or embedded
> | systems in the Toronto/GTA area.
>
> Lots of folks do that.  I don't know how to find them (I haven't
> looked).  They are often more embedded in the application area than
> the computer field.  (It often shows in the quality of their code.)
>
> I could imagine that networking through your school would help.

See the above reasons. I tried too, but seems I'm on my own,

Nick