[GTALUG] Spamhaus block

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 11:33:45 EST 2019

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 at 11:12, James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 02/22/2019 11:00 AM, Don Tai wrote:
> > A host will have a number of IPs, a box is on a specific IP, there
> > will be a number of web sites on the same box, many domain names
> > pointing to the same IP. For example my sites are on a box with 25
> > different sites that I know of, all pointing to the same IP. If one of
> > them causes a ban on the IP then all sites are affected/banned.
>
> If each server has the same IP, how are they differentiated?  The only
> ways I know are to use non standard port numbers or extend the host name
> with a suffix after a /.

A single instance of Apache or Nginx (and probably most other HTTP servers)
can handle multiple names on one port at one IP address.  We use this
ability a fair bit at my work: the web server determines what name you're
looking for from the incoming header, looks at its own config to find out
where on the box that website is stored, and responds with the proper
information.  The most obvious implementation of this is hosting sites who
have used this ability for around 20 years.

Presumably similar things can be done with most other incoming services,
although I'm most familiar with the behaviour of web servers.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com