[GTALUG] Security cams question

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Mon Feb 11 02:38:03 EST 2019

On 2019-02-09 8:25 a.m., o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I am looking into using a security cam to observe animal behavior in an area.
>
> So I would like to use a camera that is IR capable to 30 m but what
> I'm not finding is anything that I can run on Linux - - - just M$ is
> listed.
>
> Has anyone out there played with security cams that might be able to help?
>
> TIA
>
> Dee

I'm in the process of building a system for my house, and local and SD
Card recording was key. I've settled on Reolink RLC-420 cameras
(https://reolink.com/product/rlc-420/). I got the first one working with
Zoneminder already, though I still need to tune the config (going to do
that after I finish running the wires).

Here's a sample video I took while testing;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lFlD1ZflUY

Good IR, good picture quality, weak microphone, but it at least has one.
Works on android for recording on the phone/tablet as well.

For Zoneminder, I installed it fine on CentOS 7. It was not the simplest
setup, but that's because of how feature-full ZM is. I read the README
though and had no trouble. The camera itself is all metal construction,
which surprised me.

I picked up Sandisk high-endurance SDCards, 64GB
(https://www.amazon.ca/SanDisk-Endurance-Monitoring-Adapter-SDSDQQ-064G-G46A/dp/B00V5Q1N1I).
I've not used these before, but I've installed one in my dashcam for my
car and in all the cameras. So we'll see in a year or so how they hold up.

This isn't a long term or in-depth results or review, but it's what I've
found so far.

digimer

--
Digimer
"I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of