[GTALUG] DNS-over-HTTPS - what's the use?

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 10:04:48 EST 2019

Firefox now makes available DNS-over-HTTPS.  I'm a big fan of security
and privacy, but I'm struggling to see the gains here: we stop some
hypothetical observer from finding out what domain name we're querying
... and then immediately turn around and ask that domain for a web
page.  You hid the destination in your first query ... only to
immediately expose it with your next query.

I admit I'm thinking of our hypothetical advisor being at the ISP:
they'll see both types of queries anyway.  I suppose the argument can
be made that an observer on the path to the DNS but not at the ISP has
been stymied, but this seems ... lower value.  Still, is that
primarily what this will stop?

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/