[GTALUG] [OT] Phishing is no mirage...

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 14:27:17 EST 2019

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019, 10:28 AM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk, <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> | From: Karen Lewellen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | That is a fine resource.  it stateshowever that while the practice of
> asking
> | for a SIN  in private company sectors is strongly discouraged, it is not
> | illegal.
> | Which is  a dreadful shame, because  I have encountered more than my
> share of
> | real estate agents who  refuse services if not given a sin.
>
> Real-estate agents now have FINTRAC obligations.  Perhaps they need a
> SIN for that.
>
> <
> https://www.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/guidance-directives/transaction-operation/indicators-indicateurs/real_mltf-eng
> >

> | What is more, I know first hand from a bell Senior corporate staff
> member that
> | at least for a while bell used the request to screen out mobile
> applicants who
> | were not Canadian Citizens.
>
> To what end?  Why should they care?
>
> In the US, my son found it hard to do a lot of things without being a
> citizen or having a green card.  Even though he legally held a good
> job.
>
> Postpaid phones do involve granting credit but prepaid ones do not.
> If you grant credit, you might want all sorts of assurances.  Maybe in
> that case you don't want people who could be kicked out of the
> country.
>
> | I wonder why, especially in this data stealing age, the practice is not
> firmly
> | against the law?
>
> Yes.  And the boundaries clearly marked.

The problem is that its a matter of private law. The government would
essentially fetter itself if it actually made it illegal for you to give
out your SIN voluntarily. This might be the case in settlement if someone
has sued you, won and now has the right to a full accounting of your income
and assets.

Enforcing laws is expensive and there is a threshold which is bounded by
economy of scale. As a general matter of private law, caveat emptor (let
the buyer beware) is the rule.

Its kind of like the government is a national park with a grand canyon
running through it. The can put up signs which say don't get too close to
the edge or you may fall in but they can't really stop you from jumping off
the edge.

---
> Unsubscribe from this mailing list

Russell