[GTALUG] another unique store gone: Above All Electronic Surplus

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Tue Dec 17 08:55:38 EST 2019

On 2019-12-16 11:45 PM, Stewart C. Russell via talk wrote:
> That's odd - for me, Sayal's a last resort. They might have half the
> things I want at almost twice the price. Active Electronics (the one
> up by VP & Steeles, not Active Surplus) used to be much better.

That's the opposite of my experience.  I live in Mississauga, so I went
to the location on Matheson, where Active and Sayal were right beside
each other.  Active was more expensive, but was all new, not surplus.
Active was the retail division of Future Electronics, which was an
industrial supplier.

As for mail order, I used to buy from SD Sales, though there were a
couple of others.  James Electronics (Jameco) comes to mind.  You'd find
their ads in electronics and computer magazines.

Incidentally, on one occasion I bought a couple of Rapidman
calculators.  Even though they were made in Toronto (Eaton's used to
sell them), I still had to pay duty and federal tax on them, when I
picked them up at the post office.