[GTALUG] another unique store gone: Above All Electronic Surplus

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 23:45:20 EST 2019

On 2019-12-15 7:24 p.m., Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote:

> One of my personal favourite places for obscure gear, Sayal Electronics,
> is not only doing well but has been quietly expanding.

That's odd - for me, Sayal's a last resort. They might have half the
things I want at almost twice the price. Active Electronics (the one up
by VP & Steeles, not Active Surplus) used to be much better.

Though Active Electronics are gone from Ontario, they're still going in
Calgary. Dave Hrynkiw of Solarbotics bought them out.

A-1 is still grumpy old A-1. If you want sticks of 1980s speech chips
(not the good GI ones) or 1970s discrete ALUs (AMD 2901, 4 whole bits),
it's your place.

Creatron is still on College, but moved near Augusta. They also have a
location on Sheppard by Birchmount.

For 3d printery things - DigitMakers: https://www.digitmakers.ca/ (near
York U), and MakerWiz - https://makerwiz.com/ (Richmond Hill)

If you don't mind mail order:

* local, fast (and yes, I used to work there): Elmwood Electronics -
https://elmwoodelectronics.ca/ . Local pickup from Bloor and Jane(ish)

* not local, but fast and cheap: Universal Solder -
https://www.universal-solder.ca/ . They resell the same things that
AliExpress and DX do with a very reasonable markup. Shipping is usually
well under a week. Since my last DX order took nearly a year to ship,
Universal Solder get my money now.

cheers,
  Stewart