[GTALUG] another unique store gone: Above All Electronic Surplus

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Dec 16 16:31:17 EST 2019

On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 at 00:01, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> I blame me, and people like me.  We stopped giving them enough
> business.

Don't beat yourself up over this. The Internet also sped the decline.

These businesses thrived on the oddball, low-volume, specialty stuff that
benefits from central warehousing. Stuff that used to be the realm of
specialty stores like Raspberry Pis are now on Amazon and a bunch of other
online retailers, along with the various patchboards and DIY stuff. People
post shopping lists for kits that you can then just assemble in an online
shopping cart, and shipping cost is often lower than round-trip bus fare.

I think the store I miss the most of this genre was Efston Science on
Dufferin