[GTALUG] Phishing is no mirage...

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Mon Dec 16 14:27:12 EST 2019

I got a message from someone phishing as UPS.
The interesting thing was that I was expecting a package on the same day
from Amazon.
I do not get a lot of UPS tagged spam and this one was written to slide
through as a plain text message with a word document attached.
The closeness to an Amazon delivery makes me wonder if someone has
access to Amazon delivery information.

On 12/16/19 2:04 PM, Christopher Browne via talk wrote:
> This morning, I received a realistic looking message appearing to be
> from our hosting provider (linode) which was trying to convince me to
> send out my credit card information.
> Titled... "Linode Support Ticket 13142320 - Other - Account Limit
> reached. Please open a support ticket."
>
> This may even be more of a "spear phishing" thing as it it was broadly
> personalized to me, as I help manage the GTALUG account at linode.
>
> Something was looking suspicious about the URL...
> http://login.linode.com.login.return.to.https.21354545.paulinasfriends.com
> --
> When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing it to the
> question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||