[GTALUG] For Chris: Commodore BASIC as a scripting language

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 13:57:00 EDT 2019

On 2019-08-25 11:19 p.m., William Park via talk wrote:

> At work, I once tried to use TI micro board (launchpad or something),
> and to program that, I have to download their IDE and edit through that,
> because only it knows which headers and libraries to pull in.

Ah yes: TI kind of went their own way and so the Energia IDE for MSP430
- https://energia.nu/, forked from Arduino years ago - never quite
became compatible with Arduino. This is a shame, because almost every
other microcontroller (except PIC) now has native plugins for the
Arduino IDE so the basic functionality is the same across a huge range
of hardware.

Why Arduino uses its IDE is a messy story: partly because it wasn't
meant for programmers but for creative technologists who use the
Processing system, partly because the Arduino knocked off the fledgling
Wiring IDE without much credit, and partly because the AVR chips that
the first Wiring/Arduino systems used needed a very special rewrite of
gcc to support those processors' Harvard architecture. But they are
getting better in providing command line tools, if those are your jam.

cheers,
  Stewart