[GTALUG] Samsung router?

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Wed Aug 28 10:48:18 EDT 2019

On 8/28/19 10:26 AM, James Knott via talk wrote:
> On 2019-08-28 09:50 AM, Alvin Starr via talk wrote:
>> There is always Ubiquiti. Their stuff is a little more expensive than
>> what you will pay at CanadaComputers.
>> They tend to have decent long term support becuase they sell to WISPs
>> and there is usually an SSH/telnet capability built into the units so
>> you can poke around inside.
>> They now seem to sell direct in Canada.
> Any business grade unit should have similar, along with management
> software that runs on a computer.  These units also tend to be designed
> for use on networks with multiple APs.  Cisco has some great gear, but
> tends to be a bit pricey.
I would disagree with the Cisco having good gear.
Their consumer equipment may be better but their enterprise and carrier
grade switches have a tendency to have ports go bad.

I recently went through 2 days of network outage because a Cisco carrier
switch had a port go bad and then the link was moved to a second port
that was bad.
In both cases Cisco carrier support could not identify the problem.

Also in over 20 years of running networks for people the only switches
to ever have a port go bad have been Cisco.

That is just my mileage yours may be better.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||