[GTALUG] Samsung router?

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Wed Aug 28 09:50:33 EDT 2019

On 8/28/19 9:37 AM, James Knott via talk wrote:
> On 2019-08-28 09:29 AM, Giles Orr wrote:
>> My first criteria when selecting an access point is "does it support
>> OpenWRT?"
> Then you're talking router and not access point.  I prefer separate
> router and access point, as I can put the AP in the best location,
> rather than where's handy for a router.  Also, with PoE, I don't have to
> worry about proximity to AC power.  I have my AP mounted up on the wall
> in my laundry room, which is roughly in the middle of my condo and
> provides a good signal throughout and even out on my balcony.  If I used
> router WiFi, in my computer room, I'd have a poor signal at the far end
> of my unit.  Regardless, the lack of info on those Samsung devices is a
> real issue.  That indicates dummy grade gear and limits what someone can
> do with it.
>
> BTW, I use pfSense for my firewall.

There is always Ubiquiti. Their stuff is a little more expensive than
what you will pay at CanadaComputers.
They tend to have decent long term support becuase they sell to WISPs
and there is usually an SSH/telnet capability built into the units so
you can poke around inside.
They now seem to sell direct in Canada.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||