[GTALUG] Magic SysRq: ever known to fail?

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 14:19:17 EDT 2019

On 2019-08-20 1:27 p.m., Stewart Russell wrote:

> Does Magic SysRq always work? Am I doing it wrong? (Alt + PrtSc + key,
> eg REISUB)

And on pressing Send on my phone, of course, Alt + PrtSc + REISUB worked
and rebooted. Wouldn't you know.

(I have to say, it's an **amazingly** helpful system that sends its help
messages for valid Magic SysRq keys to a terminal you can't access or see.)

No logs from gnome-shell or Firefox, but thousands of repeats of:

bunny gnome-session[1716]: gnome-session-binary[1716]:
GnomeDesktop-WARNING: Failed to acquire idle monitor proxy: Timeout was
reached
bunny gnome-session[1716]: message repeated 3 times: [
gnome-session-binary[1716]: GnomeDesktop-WARNING: Failed to acquire idle
monitor proxy: Timeout was reached]
bunny gsd-power[1946]: Error setting property 'PowerSaveMode' on
interface org.gnome.Mutter.DisplayConfig: Timeout was reached
(g-io-error-quark, 24)

in syslog. None of these messages seem to have currency with regard to
bug reports. When I say thousands of repeats, my system was issuing
these errors around 40 times/second.

yours confusedly but with a working computer,
  Stewart