[GTALUG] Magic SysRq: ever known to fail?

Stewart Russell scruss at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 13:27:51 EDT 2019

This shouldn't happen, but I've got a Linux computer with the clock frozen
at an hour ago and unsaved work that I can't access

Does Magic SysRq always work? Am I doing it wrong? (Alt + PrtSc + key, eg
REISUB)

A website took out Firefox's JS process, which coincidentally manages
Gnome's UI. System becomes slow, eventually locks up. I suspect that a
process goes mad and eats all memory. Machine has fallen off network
because of this, so no SSH for me

Any of the console access from X keys don't work. Mouse pointer no longer
moves. CPU fan is making the one core is maxed out noise

Any suggestions for getting my machine back without damaging the SSD
gratefully received - disk access light solid.  Any potential diagnostics
for after the fact (I'm assuming the machine's non-responsive to new
connections) also welcome

Thanks
 Stewart