[GTALUG] Running Dell branded Nvidia gtx 1060 in non-dell system

xerofoify xerofoify at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 18:22:44 EDT 2019

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 6:11 PM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> | From: xerofoify via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | For reference yes thats correct Hugh. If you look through the Intel
> | Assembly Manual it probably mentions
> | it there .
>
> By "it", I understand you to mean "PCIe 3.0 support".  That's a bit
> odd for an "Assembly Manual".
>
> Do you mean this manual?
> <https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-vol-1-manual.pdf>
>
> "Intel(TM) 64 and IA-32 ArchitecturesSoftware Developer's Manual"
> Volume 1 of 9.
>
> I don't see PCIe mentioned there.  Nor would I expect it.  There is
> mention of PCI in an example of using the MOVNTDQA instruction.

It was odd before but instructions can touch or swap with PCI so that's why. PCI
is not like USB or other protocols it requires overhead on the CPU side if that
makes sense including lanes/instructions to a lesser degree. It may not be
mentioned for assembly manuals directly but in other hardware documentation
very likely.
> | Through I don't think that Haswell has the SHA512 extension
> | in hardware. Not sure when that
> | was added but I believe it was in a later version.
>
> I don't see SHA-512 mentioned in that manual.  I see 5.18 "INTEL(TM)
> SHA EXTENSIONS" but that does not cover SHA-512.
>
> Is this described elsewhere?

That would be it. Sorry my member was incorrect its up to SHA256 currently.
> Is this related to the PCIe version in some way?
Sorry it was just a side comment.
> ---

Nick