[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi 4

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Aug 6 11:20:25 EDT 2019

| From: Kevin Cozens via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| I found one Canadian authorized seller (afaict as they are listed on the RPi
| site when you click on Buy Now) that has decent prices and shipping. It is
| buyapi.ca and they appear to be showing that 1GB and 2GB models are in stock.
| I'm still waiting on the 4GB.

<https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-4-4gb.html>

It looks as if they have 4g units in stock.  They don't say so
explicitly.

They are a Vancouver company.  I have not checked to see if they are
authorized.

You can buy in C$ or US$.  When I last looked, the US$ prices were
slightly better; that may just have been a lag in updating their
exchange rates.  Warning: credit cards and banks take an unconscionable
fee when exchanging currency so buying in US$ might only make sense if you
have some US$ already.

Raspberry Pi 4 basic kit: US$69.95, C$94.95.  One source says it should be
C$90.96 at the moment.  Many credit cards charge 2%, smaller than this
difference (but they probably convert when the transaction is posted).

Oops: it seems that when you ship to a Canadian address, they force the
currency to C$.

The cheapest shipping for 3 units is CA$14.95.  Probably the same for a
single unit.  So group ordering might make sense.  Only "express" shipping
($31.95) would arrive in time for the next GTALUG meeting.

| I still haven't decided if I really need another Pi (I have 5 in total, of
| different types), but I may grab a 4GB model 4 just to have it.

Agreed.  But I'm more in Lennart's situation: I have several Pis that
I'm not using (yet?).

The Pi 4 certainly addresses some glaring limitations of the previous
models.  Note: the previous models were perfectly fine for their
intended uses.