[GTALUG] a simple security solution?

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Mon Apr 15 15:57:58 EDT 2019

On 4/15/19 3:28 PM, Karen Lewellen via talk wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I do hope to ask this clearly.
> what I desire is a method of confirming if someone enters or
> approaches my flat without my knowledge.
> Ideally there would be a small camera, even a phone just for this role
> might work,  with at the absolute best a notification sent via  voice
> or e-mail that the feature is active..I hope this makes sense.
> Perhaps  it activates when someone opens my downstairs door, letting
> me know?  Perhaps an alarm, perhaps not.
> I might also dedicate a laptop to this role, but the most important
> thing is that I am notified,  the setup calls my own phone number land
> line for example, or sends me an e-mail.  I have no way to get a text
> message, unless this  message is spoken.
> If I am  not being clear let me know.
> Range need not be profoundly large either.
> Ideas?
> Kare

There are a number of IP based cameras that will do the kind of thing
you want.

The first question you need to answer is do you want to use a cloud
service or own and control your own data.

The cloud service will be the easiest to setup and will let you do
things but the downside is that amazon or google or .... will know your
business.

Most all the modern cameras now come with some form of motion detection
so it will satisfy your need to know when someone is coming to your door.

The next question is if you want wifi or hard wired.

It may actually be harder to find a hard wired camera there are
literally hundreds of wifi enabled cameras and if you can get a
hardwired camera you may also want one that will take its power using POE.

I have an old(5+ years) dlink camera that will do motion detection and
upload the video to an FTP server and it works just fine.

There appear to be some peephole cameras so it may be possible to get
something that will fit into an existing door peephole otherwise you
will be trying to figure out where to install the camera.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||